Marinated Flank Steak with Grilled Romaine Salad & Chipotle Lime Sauce
Chef Sam Forgacs from JACK Cleveland Casino – Cleveland, OH
Why Chef Sam chose this recipe: Representing our buffet’s seven stations, our guests compile ingredients to create their own unique dish. This versatility of the buffet is what inspired me for this recipe. I utilized such ingredients as salad toppings and a protein from a hot station of the buffet to create a unique blend of flavors and textures that could only be put together by having so many options at your fingertips. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
Ingredients for Salad:
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce (washed, and cut into quarters length wise)
- 1 ea. red onion julienned
- ½ pt grape tomatoes split
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat grill to medium high heat
- Toss lettuce with 1 tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper
- Place over the fire on the grill and allow to wilt and slightly char on all sides
- Remove from grill and set aside to cool
- Once cool remove root end of hearts keeping the quarters intact
- Toss the grape tomatoes with the other tsp of olive oil, salt and pepper, set aside.
Ingredients for Flank Steak Marinade:
- 1 tbsp. canned chipotles in adobo
- ½ tbsp. garlic
- ½ bunch cilantro
- 2 oz. olive oil
- 2 oz. soy sauce
- 3 oz. red wine
- 1 ½ lbs. flank steak
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor container (Except the steak!) and using an immersion blender, puree until smooth.
- Place into a container and add the flank steak and allow to marinate overnight or minimum of three hours.
- Cook on grill over medium high heat and cook to medium, or desired temperature is achieved. Allow steak to rest for 5min before slicing across the grain into ¼” strips.
Ingredients for Chipotle Lime Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. Chipotles in adobo
- ½ cup Honey
- 3 tbsp. Dark Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- ½ cup Lime juice
- 1 ½ tbsp. Garlic
- ½ bunch Cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Combine all ingredients into a food processor or container to use with an immersion blender.
- Blend all ingredients until a sauce consistency is achieved.
Assembling the plate:
- Place the grilled romaine hearts on a plate in an X shape.
- Add the split grape tomatoes and julienne onions to the sides and tops of the lettuce.
- Top the salad with the thinly sliced flank steak
- Drizzle with the lime chipotle sauce.
- Serve either warm, room temperature, or chilled to your liking.